Please note that this forum is in read-only mode and will be sunset at the end of November. For any product related questions, please visit our Help Desk: https://help.hootsuite.com or talk with a Hootsuite Helper: https://twitter.com/Hootsuite_Help

Hootlet only adds images for FB accounts

When I use the Chrome extension to post a web page, if I have a facebook and twitter account selected it automatically attaches an image to the post. The image appears on facebook and twitter.

If I only have a twitter account selected, the extension doesn't add the image.

This is quite a pain, and I can't see any sensible reason for this behaviour?

Comments

• Hi @axlesoft,

Diana here, with the Hootsuite Help Desk team. Thank you for reaching out to us on our Community Forum! 

Are you referring to the link preview generated for the link? Please note that Twitter does not scrape a link preview.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Warm regards,
  • When the link preview generates for Twitter, it doesn't include a photo. When the link generates for Facebook, it includes a photo. Why are photos not included in a post for Twitter?
  • Hi @cambridgebutterfly

My name is Valentina and I'm here with the Hootsuite Support Team. This is a great question and I'm happy to explain what happens with the link previews on Twitter and why they don't display the same as on Facebook. 

Facebook and Twitter, being two different social networks, have two different ways of scraping the content in the link that you share and showing previews. For Twitter, the link previews are called Twitter cards. Twitter will only display a Twitter card for a certain URL if one is applicable. You can always check if your URL has an applicable Twitter card by running it through their card validator.

So if you share a message to Twitter and Facebook from Hootsuite and there's a link preview for Facebook ( with thumbnail, title and description), this does not ensure that the tweet will have a card next to it.

I have attached example of a valid twitter card and one with errors blow. I do hope this answers you question. If it doesn't, we would be more than happy to further assist!