Please note that this forum is in read-only mode and will be sunset at the end of November. For any product related questions, please visit our Help Desk: https://help.hootsuite.com or talk with a Hootsuite Helper: https://twitter.com/Hootsuite_Help

Photos Always Posting Sideways

When I attempt to make a post to facebook, twitter and instagran and an image is included, hootsuite will always rotate the photo 90 degrees counter clockwise essentially making it a sideways landscape instead of a portrait photo. What is the solution to this? I see this has been an issue with hootsuite dating back to 2013(?!). Is there a fix for this yet??? So annoying. 

Comments

• Hi @AdmiralHfx!

Thank you for reaching out over our Forum!

While social networks can adjust metadata on images to correct their orientation, Hootsuite will send images based on their true metadata orientation.

To test this, could I have you open up one of you images on your computer using MS Paint on a PC or Preview on a Mac?

If it opens sideways, rotate it upright and save. When you upload that image, it should display properly.

Please let us know if that works, or is you are still experiencing this issue.

Kind Regards,

Richard | Customer Advocate
  • Yes I am having this same problem and saw that there is thread dating back to 2012 on this issue! I am posting a picture that I took with my android that is unedited. It is rotating clockwise and it does not show up sideways when I upload it, but when I see it in my "scheduled posts" it is sideways. Or the other day I had one that showed up upside down! I tried to rotate them (so that if the app rotated it again it would be right-side-up) but this still did not fix the problem. And I do not wish to have to do this from my computer - this adds another few steps (upload the pic to my comp, edit, add to hootsuite) and I might as well just post directly to the social media site if that is the only solution hootsuite has to this problem.
  • Hi @shourtney

Christy here from the support team. I am sorry that you are still having issues with your images.

I have created a ticket for you so that we can further investigate issues that might be causing the photos to rotate. A support advocate will be reaching out via email. 

Thanks, 
  • Same issue here as well!  It seems like an easy fix would be for the app or even the desktop site to allow you to edit your photos once scheduled.  I guess I'd be okay with them initially loading incorrectly as long as I could go back and edit it.  
  • Sorina_BSorina_B ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi there @mesheddesigns ,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Community Support Forum. Sorina here, from the Support team, happy to help.

A Help Desk ticket has been created for this and an advocate has reached out via email to assist further with more details.

Have a lovely day!
    Sorina | @Hootsuite_Help | Hootsuite Help Center

• I also have the same issue when adding an image from a mobile device.  Before, I could log into my computer, download the image from Hootsuite, rotate it again (so it's correct) and that would fix it, but now this doesn't work anymore.  What should I do?
  • Hi @TheDonOfBeer

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us regarding your concern, and I'd like to help out and get it sorted- to start, could you please confirm what device you've taken the photo/image with? If possible, could you please provide a sample of the image that uploaded sideways? I'd like to do some testing on my end.

Thanks again, and I look forward to your reply.
  • My mobile devices (with which I take the photos and upload to HootSuite) are Apple.  My PC is a Windows-based Dell.  A sample image is attached (shows properly here, but in my scheduled posts, it's rotated).  HootSuite rotates the image and whereas I used to be able to log in on my PC, download each image, rotate them and re-upload, even that doesn't work anymore.  Would be good if I could just have the upload work properly in the first place, but if not, being able to fix on my PC again would be livable.
  • Hi @TheDonOfBeer

Thank you so much for your reply and providing us the image.

Upon testing on our end the image appears to uploading in correct orientation. I have attached a screenshot below for your reference: 

To assist you further with this can please provide us a screenshot of how the image appears in your compose message box and how it appears when it is published? 

Thank you so much for your patience! We look forward to your reply. 

Kind Regards,
    Kritika | Customer Advocate

• This is what it looks like.  I've tried deleting and re-attaching the photo (which used to fix it), but not anymore.
  • Hi again @TheDonOfBeer

I have created a support ticket for you so that we can look further into your issue with the picture posting sideways. A customer advocate will be reaching out to you via email.

Thanks,  

• I am also having this issue.  I'm using an Android phone. When I schedule the post, the picture appears at it should but once it posts to FB, the image is sideways. I have to then edit my post in FB delete the photo and reattach. This defeats the purpose of using Hootsuite.
  • Hi @JessHskr

Thanks for reaching out JessHSkr, christy here, ready to help.

To assist you further with this can please provide us a screenshot of how the image appears in your compose message box and how it appears when it is published? 

Thank you so much for your patience! We look forward to your reply. 

Kind Regards,
  • edited February 22
    Same issue here, I've tried everything suggested further up this thread. The image is taken on a Samsung S7, post created in the Hootsuite App, but then looking at it on my desktop in scheduled on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter the image is rotated and presented sideways. 

I can edit the posts individually by putting the image onto my computer and replacing it..  They appear the right way up in the edit window but then when changes are saved it often rotates again and remains that way in my scheduled posts.  In the Instagram scheduled feed when editing the posts and re-uploading the photo to replace the original it won't save because the aspect ratio is not correct (has to be between 4:5 and 1:19:1.  This is despite it being the exact same photo which was taken in portrait with the auto rotate unlocked on my phone. 

Kinda defeats the object of using Hootsuite having to do all this editing.  Please tell me there's a solution.  

• I am Carlos from the Customer Support Team. Thank you very much for using our forum! I apologize for the issue you are experiencing but I am glad to help you.

You are completely correct. At the moment the issue has been brought to the attention of our developers and are actively looking into it. It does seem that some of the metadata of the image regarding orientation is not being read.

What I have done is create a support ticket for you to provide you updates.
  • Any movement on this issue? It's March 2018, and all the photos taken on my Galaxy S8 and posted using the Hootsuite app are sideways. I was really hoping to be able to use Hootsuite to manage my social media. I'm paying for the monthly service. At conventions and other events, there is no way to edit these on a computer first and have my pics show up in real time. I'd appreciate a way to tweak the metadata orientation for proper posting.
  • Alexandru_TAlexandru_T ✭✭✭
    Hello @DLDiehl,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community Forum! 

I'm afraid that Hootsuite cannot read this orientation tag - your phone's Photo app will do - which is why the picture is posted sideways. 

I searched online and found and Samsung phones might actually default to taking landscape pictures and an order to rotate the photo is sent every time a photo is taken in vertical position.  In case the photo was taken vertically, this would explain why it was posted sideways.

You can also try clearing the cache of the camera app or the cache partition in your Android device to see if this is a temporary issue rather than a design decision from Samsung. Here are two links that might help you:

• Hi,

I have this problem too. I'm using an iPhone. I post my photo to FB and Instagram, it appears correctly on FB, but sideways or even upside down on Instagram! It would be good to get a fix for this, particularly as I can see it's been a long-running issue!

• Thanks for using Hootsuite! My name is Carlos from the Customer Support Team, and I am very happy to help you today.

This happens because the picture was taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet) in landscape orientation (horizontally) with the “rotation lock” mode enabled. When this is the case, an order to automatically rotate the picture is stored on the photo’s metadata.

Turns out, some parts of the dashboard or the mobile app cannot read image metadata. If you’d like extra assurance, you can edit the picture with a photo manipulation program or your phone’s Photo app to rotate it 360 degrees and save it so that it does not rely on metadata.

I will be more than happy to help if you have further questions or doubts, all you have to do is reply to this email and I will write back as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Carlos | Customer Advocate
  • But the question is, why does Hootsuite show the position of the photo as correct when we upload it  (both from the app and PC) and then when it posts, it’s rotated? As people mentioned before, this defeats the purpose and if someone else took the photo we would have no way of knowing on the fly if the orientation is different that what we see when we upload it. Very frustrating. Why can other apps fix this, but you guys can’t?