Posting vertical images to Instagram

I've recently upgraded my desktop app as well as my mobile apps to upload directly to my Instagram business profile. Whenever I have a vertical image selected it doesn't let me do it. Before, when we had to manually re-size the vertical images it wasn't a problem but now that we don't have that option it just refuses to do it. Is it a size issue or a vertical format issue? I don't want to have to make all my vertical images square to be able to publish them automatically but is this what I'm going to have to do?

Answers

• Hello @pauldymond,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community Forum! 

I would like to recommend using the Composer BETA: https://help.hootsuite.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010088387-Composer-BETA

Not only will you be able to preview your posts for each social network that you select, but you can also edit your images with Creative Cloud, which should also correctly recognize the true orientation of your attached photos.

For landscape (horizontal) photos, you can use aspect ratios up to 1.91:1, which is this shape: For portrait (vertical) photos you can use an aspect ratio up to 4:5. In Hootsuite you can try using Creative Cloud.

• I have been resizing my images to 4:5 when portrait and it still tells me they need to be 4:5, when they already are, and it still won't let me post.
  • Hootsuite REALLY needs to edit this. You should be able to post vertical images to Instagram with no issues. Vertical images are known to do so much better than horizontal and it is important that HootSuite gives that option. OR give an option to publish manually if the "ratio" is not correct. I would like to keep using direct posting for my business profile, but I don't know if I can if I keep dealing with these issues. 
  • Hello @arnelgonce @Meredithdesignworks

The push notification method allowed for the image to be edited within the Instagram app so size and ratio was never a problem, the Instagram app did that automatically.

When Instagram enabled direct publishing they expected all editing to be done prior to scheduling the post. Once Instagram receives the image they check it to see if it complies with the rules and if not it is rejected.

Please check out this article for more details about the aspect ratio. 
    http://ow.ly/ugki30iRvES

If the image is within the correct aspect ratio it will get published without an issue.

Regards,
  • Can you somehow make Hootsuite resize the image for us before sending to Instagram?  It is not feasible for us to have to resize images individually.  Even resizing is not working.  Please fix this issue.
  • I have tried resizing my image to 4:5 ratio in the full screened Composer with Creative Cloud. Still doesn't work, still shows the error. Hootsuite used to be able to just post the image and automatically crop to 4:5 ratio after the update. Please fix this?
  • Hello @cvgarcia, 

Thank you for reaching out on the Forum! My name is Magdina, and I'm from the Hootsuite Support Team.

If the image added meets Instagram requirements, please also be advised that posts with more than 30 hashtags will also fail to be posted, as at this time Instagram doesn't allow for captions with more than 30 hashtags to be published.

Looking forward to hearing back from you to help you solve this issue!

• @Magdina_B What kind of garbage support is this??

This topic is about posting portrait photos, not hashtags. Why did @Magdina_B just copy/paste a standard response that is completely off-topic?

This is a great indication of the nosedive that Hootsuite has taken lately.
  • MHBMHB
    edited July 24
    I'm very frustrated with the issue of not being able to post vertical images. This is something that Hootsuite should be working to resolve. I reached out for assistance and haven't heard back. What is the point of having Hootsuite if it won't even let us post pictures to Instagram?

I've cropped the images numerous times, but it still isn't working. There's only so much you can crop.
  • Sorina_BSorina_B ✭✭
    Hi there @MHB ,

Thank you for reaching out to us, Sorina here, from the Support team, happy to help.

We've created a Help Desk ticket for an advocate to reach out via email and provide further details.

Thank you for your patience! Have a lovely day!
    Sorina | @Hootsuite_Help | Hootsuite Help Center