Changes to Twitter Publishing

As Twitter recently announced that on March 23, 2018, they will be making changes to their policies in an effort to reduce the proliferation of spam on their platform. These changes apply to all integration partners that use Twitter's API, including Hootsuite, and Twitter’s own TweetDeck.

If you’re already following industry best practices for social media management, the changes are unlikely to affect your business. However, it’s important you’re aware of the new guidelines to make sure you can protect your brand’s reputation on social. See our blog post for more information about what these updates mean for you—and your business.

What's changing? Hootsuite dashboard, Hootsuite mobile apps, Hootsuite Amplify, Hootlet, and Hootsuite’s Publisher API

Twitter’s new guidelines prohibit the following actions:

• Posting the same or almost identical content, replies, or mentions over multiple accounts you control.

• Creating duplicate or substantially similar accounts, with or without the use of automation.

• Posting multiple updates (on a single account or across multiple accounts you control) to a trending or popular topic (like through the use of a specific hashtag) with an intent to subvert or manipulate the topic, or to artificially inflate the prominence of a hashtag or topic.

For Hootsuite partners and customers, we’re making changes within our product to help you abide by these guidelines on Twitter. You can learn more about those changes in our Help Desk article.

Tagged:

Comments

• So Hootsuite's convenience suffers. Not all messages that are duplicated across accounts are spam. Many are genuine messages being shared via the Hootlet.
  • I agree.  I manage multiple accounts in different countries for the same company. Often they want the same message to go to say Canada and the USA. In the past I could create the tweet, assign to both accounts and schedule. Now I have to do it separately, which creates more work and is more time consuming. Not to mention if I have to send a message out to all the regions.
  • Good steps  for improvement 
    I see myself as hot sexy. If you are comfortable with it, it can be very classy and appealing.

• Is this why all of our RSS feeds to twitter have stopped working? Different content to each.... In fact twitter doesn't even appear as an option in our RSS feed publisher
  • Hello @incendllc

This is Jonathan from the Community Support Team, happy to help!

That's correct, Twitter does not appear as an option for RSS Feed anymore based on these changes implemented by Twitter.

If you want to learn more about what's led Twitter to take this decision, please visit the link below:

Automation and use of multiple accounts

Thank you for your understanding!

Jonathan
  • Hello, As mentioned by David above, we've been using for legitimate sharing of our content across number of Twitter social media properties. Without this capability the value of Hootsuite to us is significantly reduced. Who would we contact relative to getting prorated refund for our annual plan?
  • Hello @TheSocialCMO

This is Jonathan from the Community Support Forum, jumping in to help :)

We're sorry for any inconvenience. As a workaround, you can retweet the original tweet from the other accounts; please note that this is the workaround suggested by Twitter on their own post:
    We have found a support ticket from you. We will reach out to you via email to discuss more about the prorated refund that you're requesting. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Cheers,
    Jonathan