Facebook and Instagram changes for Hootsuite Dashboard 4/5/198

As you might already know, Facebook is currently changing the way all partners like Hootsuite access data in order to keep users’ information safe and secure. We are in full support of these changes because we believe they are critical to maintaining trust between our customers and their customers. Some of these changes have impacted or will impact Hootsuite functionality.

As of April 4th, you might have already spotted some changes to the Hootsuite Dashboard due to Facebook and Instagram APIs updates, such as:

Facebook:

• Facebook Group, Event, and Page Search streams will no longer display identifiable user information such as username and profile picture.
  • Facebook Page Search streams will be deprecated. It will no longer be possible to add streams for Pages you do not own.
  • Events streams for Facebook profiles are no longer available.
  • Facebook Pages added or reconnected in Hootsuite after April 4 will no longer support Facebook private messaging functionality. This means that the following will no longer be available:
    • Messages stream for Facebook Pages.
    • Automation and assignments for Facebook private messages.
  • Mentioning Facebook Pages in posts will no longer be supported.
  • Tagging Facebook branded content will no longer be supported.
  • Facebook profiles will need to be re-authenticated every 90 days. There is no change to Facebook Pages.

Instagram:

• Liking Instagram posts or comments will no longer be supported.
  • Following or unfollowing Instagram users will no longer be supported.
  • Mentioning Instagram users in posts will no longer be supported.
  • Commenting on Instagram posts will no longer be supported, except Instagram Business profiles who can continue commenting on their own posts.
  • Instagram user search streams will be deprecated.
  • Instagram data will no longer be available in Hootsuite Impact’s Brand Tracker module.
  • Identifiable Instagram user information such as usernames and profile pictures will no longer be displayed in hashtag/location searches, comments in Analytics, and mentions in Hootsuite Insights.
  • Instagram user profile information including bio, followers, following and recently posted media will no longer be available.

As a strategic partner we will continue to work with Facebook to ensure a great outcome for our customers and will provide updates as we have them.

Thank you for your understanding on this matter!

Comments

• Do these changes affect ONLY what goes on in the dashboard or are they carried over into the actual apps?
      This is not very clear to me.
      I post to my fb group, page and Instagram account through the dashboard so does this mean people will not be able to comment on my Instagram etc posts due to being loaded by Hootsuite?
      I can't add the hashtag of my business either?
      please make this clearer in easier terms to understand.
      thank you
    • Hi @JoCee,

Thank you for reaching out on the Forum! My name is Magdina, and I'm from the Hootsuite Support Team.

In order to better assist, I have pulled this to a HelpDesk Ticket, so that I can help you out via email!

Have a great day!

• MercyHealthPHL,

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out on the Forum! My name is Sergio, and I'm from the Hootsuite Support Team.

Unfortunately, this is a restriction from Facebook and Instagram; therefore, every third-party application that follows their rules has to go through the same process. 

Since we work closely with our partners if this ever changes we will update our platform.

Regards,
    • Hi, 

I have the same questions and concerns as the comments above. It is extremely unclear as to what these changes mean. 

Will people not be able to comment on my company instagram post if the post was loaded via hootsuite? 

Does this also mean that hashtags and @ mentions will not transfer over or be live in any instagram post loaded via hootsuite?

Please clarify as these are pretty significant changes. 

thank you!

• Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us through the Community Support Forum. Silvia here, from the Support team, happy to help.

Please note that starting with 4/5/2018 Facebook and Instagram made some changes.  My advice is to read the following help article: https://help.hootsuite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002742853-Facebook-and-Instagram-changes-4-5-18 in order to learn more about all the changes.

Hope it helps. Should you need any other clarification or you have pending questions, don't hesitate to reply to this email and I'll happily assist.

Best,

• Hi Silvia_I, 

The questions I submitted above pertain to the article you are suggesting I read. Those questions are a result of reading the article. Just looking for a straight forward answer. 

Thank you!
    • Hi again @jhorning,

Thank you for reaching out to us via our Community Support Forum. It's Cristina here with the Hootsuite Support team. Happy to further help!

Please find below the answers to your initial questions:

1. "Will people not be able to comment on my company instagram post if the post was loaded via hootsuite?"

Commenting on Instagram posts via Hootsuite will no longer be supported, except Instagram Business profiles who can continue commenting on their own posts. However, if other users wish to comment on your Instagram post loaded via Hootsuite on Instagram natively, this will most definitely work on their ends.

2. "Does this also mean that hashtags and @ mentions will not transfer over or be live in any instagram post loaded via hootsuite?"

Mentioning Instagram users in Instagram posts will no longer be supported. Also, Instagram hashtags can be used in posts made via Hootsuite.

In case there are additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Have a great day!
    • I agree with what another user said....."So, now we cannot use the @ and tag/mention a Facebook page in a scheduled Hootsuite post?? What is the point then, really? That makes no sense."

For me, it makes hootsuite pretty redundant now
    • Hello, @WVG

Mirla here from the Hootsuite support, thank you so much for getting in touch via Forum. 

I am very sorry for the changes that have been happening. I sincerely understand for some user it is very important to be able to tag through Hootsuite but this, unfortunately, is a change made by Facebook's API.

I would like to let you know that Hootsuite supports Twitter, Google Plus, Wordpress, and LinkedIn as well.

If you have any further questions please do let me know and we will be happy to help.

Regards,
    • Tagging Facebook Pages and other Instagram accounts is a HUGE part of my branding strategy. This has rendered Hootsuite all but useless to me. Do you have any plans to reintroduce these features?
    • Sorina_BSorina_B ✭✭
      Hello @elhenterly ,

Thank you for reaching out to us, Sorina here, from the Support team, happy to help.

We (Hootsuite) are working with Facebook on finding a solution that works for our clients with respect to this and we will get back to you once we have more details regarding this change.

Have a lovely day!
      Sorina | @Hootsuite_Help | Hootsuite Help Center

• Hootsuite is essentially just a Twitter management platform again. Which alternatives is anyone going to. Sprout Social? Buffer? 
    • Perhaps if we all just close our Hootsuite accounts they'll change it back? It's become totally useless for my business needs now too...
    • Without these crucial features (commenting, liking, streamlining) the price of Hootsuite should go down. What are we paying for now? Dammit, Zuckerberg! 
    • Basically, Hootsuite is becoming useless...things need to change soon.
    • Hello @tbj2000 @BottegaMelb @SarFount @Jonathan_W

This is Jonathan from the Community Support Forum, jumping in to help :)

As confirmation from the messages above, Instagram and Facebook have made some changes to their API that affect every third-party app, including Hootsuite. You can learn more about all these changes here - https://help.hootsuite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002742853. Among these changes, some feature have been suspended for now (mentioned in the previous link). We understand if you want to take additional actions to your Hootsuite accounts; however, I'd like to reassure that we're closely working with Facebook on finding a solution that works for our clients with respect to this.

Thank you for your understanding. Let us know if you require further assistance, we're more than happy to help.

Best,
      Jonathan
    • So, I can't tag any brands / any of the pro team for my clients, can't engage with posts... This pretty much just made Hootsuite 'surplus to requirement' for me, which is a real shame. 
    • Working for a large group of companies the tagging feature is crucial for me. I'm back to posting on Facebook and Instagram directly. I seriously reget paying for an expensive yearly plan since the lack of this feature renders HootSuite almost worthless for me.

Any news if this feature is coming back anytime soon? 
    • Hello @gtvone @Joachim !

Thank you for reaching out to us on our Community Forum! This is Jaime from the Hootsuite Support Team.

We're very sorry for the inconvenience. Please keep in mind that these changes are general to Facebook's API, so all platforms are affected. 

Because this decision comes from Facebook, I'm afraid we are not able to provide an answer to whether this exact feature will be coming back or not and when. My apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Best, 
      Jaime
    • edited May 5
      Hi I just read the update log. This essentially make Hootsuite useless for us. We use Hootsuite to interact with our customers on both Facebook and Instagram. It's unfortunate since we just purchased a 1 year subscription a month ago. Though it might not be Hootsuite's fault. It's just TERRIBLE that we're out a grand on software we that cannot use.
    • Hello @secretstan

I truly understand your concern and trust me we are working closely with Facebook to make sure we provide you with the best ways for you to work. 

If you have any questions please let us know and we will be happy to help.

Regards,

Mirla 

• edited May 14
      Can someone clarify this point?

• Facebook Page Search streams will be deprecated. It will no longer be possible to add streams for Pages you do not own.

Does this really mean you can't have feeds from other Facebook business pages load into Hootsuite for social listening purposes? A lot of my clients use this feature to keep up with what their competitors and customers are posting and also what other thought leaders in their industry are talking about. Moving forward, will they have to rely on hashtags and keyword to create social listening streams?

It looks like this capability is currently still active, but will it be going away? Any idea when?

Thanks in advance!
    • Hello @LH2013

That is correct, Facebook Page Search Streams created before April 4th are still in the dashboard and they are still working, but we don't currently have an ETA on when they will be completely removed.

As the information displayed in the Page streams are no longer provided via the Facebook API, I do believe that this will lead to data missing from the streams or the removal of the content altogether. 

My sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that this causes to your workflow! Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Best, 

• Hi Hootsuite, re: tagging, can you go back to the old way of not making tags active, so that they will show up at plain text on Facebook and Instagram? Right now when I compose a message and force a username (for example, @johndoe) for Facebook or Instagram, it goes through as "John Doe." Which means I have to go back later and manually tag my posts directly through Facebook and Instagram. This is obviously extremely inconvenient.  In the old days of Hootsuite, if you just typed @johndoe, it would just go through as @johndoe. Please advise.
    • Sorina_BSorina_B ✭✭
      Hi @fatbackmedia,

Following the recent changes on Facebook's, the ability to mention Facebook Pages via Hootsuite has been removed from their API, apologies for any inconvenience!

The API used to search for Instagram users is what is being turned off, meaning in Hootsuite compose you will no longer be able to return a list of users when @ is entered in compose box and you begin typing. If you were to enter a username because you know it exactly, it *will* be converted to a mention at the time the message is published live to Instagram. If you insert the @instagram handle, it will work as a mention when the post is live on Instagram.

Hope this addressed your question! Have a lovely day!

• Sorina_BSorina_B ✭✭
      Hi @Robert Dutton,

Thank you for reaching out to us, Sorina here, from the Support team, happy to help.
      We do appreciate your feedback and will pass it on to the relevant team.

Let us know if you have any other questions!