Facebook and Instagram changes for Hootsuite Dashboard 4/5/198

As you might already know, Facebook is currently changing the way all partners like Hootsuite access data in order to keep users’ information safe and secure. We are in full support of these changes because we believe they are critical to maintaining trust between our customers and their customers. Some of these changes have impacted or will impact Hootsuite functionality.

As of April 4th, you might have already spotted some changes to the Hootsuite Dashboard due to Facebook and Instagram APIs updates, such as:

Facebook:

• Facebook Group, Event, and Page Search streams will no longer display identifiable user information such as username and profile picture.
  • Facebook Page Search streams will be deprecated. It will no longer be possible to add streams for Pages you do not own.
  • Events streams for Facebook profiles are no longer available.
  • Facebook Pages added or reconnected in Hootsuite after April 4 will no longer support Facebook private messaging functionality. This means that the following will no longer be available:
    • Messages stream for Facebook Pages.
    • Automation and assignments for Facebook private messages.
  • Mentioning Facebook Pages in posts will no longer be supported.
  • Tagging Facebook branded content will no longer be supported.
  • Facebook profiles will need to be re-authenticated every 90 days. There is no change to Facebook Pages.

Instagram:

• Liking Instagram posts or comments will no longer be supported.
  • Following or unfollowing Instagram users will no longer be supported.
  • Mentioning Instagram users in posts will no longer be supported.
  • Commenting on Instagram posts will no longer be supported, except Instagram Business profiles who can continue commenting on their own posts.
  • Instagram user search streams will be deprecated.
  • Instagram data will no longer be available in Hootsuite Impact’s Brand Tracker module.
  • Identifiable Instagram user information such as usernames and profile pictures will no longer be displayed in hashtag/location searches, comments in Analytics, and mentions in Hootsuite Insights.
  • Instagram user profile information including bio, followers, following and recently posted media will no longer be available.

As a strategic partner we will continue to work with Facebook to ensure a great outcome for our customers and will provide updates as we have them.

Thank you for your understanding on this matter!

Comments

• Do these changes affect ONLY what goes on in the dashboard or are they carried over into the actual apps?
      This is not very clear to me.
      I post to my fb group, page and Instagram account through the dashboard so does this mean people will not be able to comment on my Instagram etc posts due to being loaded by Hootsuite?
      I can't add the hashtag of my business either?
      please make this clearer in easier terms to understand.
      thank you
    • Hi @JoCee,

Thank you for reaching out on the Forum! My name is Magdina, and I'm from the Hootsuite Support Team.

In order to better assist, I have pulled this to a HelpDesk Ticket, so that I can help you out via email!

Have a great day!

• So, now we cannot use the @ and tag/mention a Facebook page in a scheduled Hootsuite post?? What is the point then, really? That makes no sense.
    • MercyHealthPHL,

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out on the Forum! My name is Sergio, and I'm from the Hootsuite Support Team.

Unfortunately, this is a restriction from Facebook and Instagram; therefore, every third-party application that follows their rules has to go through the same process. 

Since we work closely with our partners if this ever changes we will update our platform.

Regards,
    • Hi, 

I have the same questions and concerns as the comments above. It is extremely unclear as to what these changes mean. 

Will people not be able to comment on my company instagram post if the post was loaded via hootsuite? 

Does this also mean that hashtags and @ mentions will not transfer over or be live in any instagram post loaded via hootsuite?

Please clarify as these are pretty significant changes. 

thank you!

• Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us through the Community Support Forum. Silvia here, from the Support team, happy to help.

Please note that starting with 4/5/2018 Facebook and Instagram made some changes.  My advice is to read the following help article: https://help.hootsuite.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002742853-Facebook-and-Instagram-changes-4-5-18 in order to learn more about all the changes.

Hope it helps. Should you need any other clarification or you have pending questions, don't hesitate to reply to this email and I'll happily assist.

Best,

• Hi Silvia_I, 

The questions I submitted above pertain to the article you are suggesting I read. Those questions are a result of reading the article. Just looking for a straight forward answer. 

Thank you!